Baby Boomers and More – The Different Work Generations
In today’s workplace, you have four to five different generations working together, from Baby Boomers to Gen Z. How do you adapt your organisation to engage all the generations and ensure you have high performing teams?
Understanding Complex Generations
Baby Boomers (1946 – 1964)
– Top priorities in a job are meaningful work (60%) and location (57%)
– 41% of baby boomers say workers should stay with a job at least five years before looking for a new job
– 7 years average tenure
Generation X (early-to-mid 1960s to the early 1980s)
– Rank flexibility as most important perk
– Almost a quarter have been with the same employer fifteen years or longer
– 5 years average tenure
Millennials (1980 to 1995)
– The 1980’s millennial: Grew up with ‘go play outside and come in when it’s dark’ – more agile and responsive work mentality.
– 1990’s millennial: Have grown up with programmed lives, structured activities, a planned childhood, constant feedback and affirmation. This translates to their work aspirations.
Generation Z (1996 to 2010)
– Global, connected, entrepreneurial. Wired to multi-task.
– Cynical of things that may have impressed previous generations.
– Technologically reliant rather than proficient.
Culture Trumps Fun
– Millennial & Generation Z friendly work environment is not necessarily about “fun”.
– Employer branding and culture are most crucial.
– 80% of Millennials & Generation Z will choose a company to work for based culture.
Make Millennials & Generation Z Part of Your DNA
– Onboarding Programs are key and need to be designed to engage and retain these generations.
– The onboarding process starts pre employment to foster a sense of team belonging.
– Focus on what matters to Millennials & Generation Z – company values & mission, career & personal development and mentoring.
Do it All with Talivest
Talivest is tailored to engage with the different work generations. Our solution can help organisations understand why employees are leaving, stay connected with them and re-hire high performing millennial corporate alumni. This results in reducing recruitment costs, boosting productivity and bolstering your company’s innovation pool. A combination of work practice innovation and Talivest will bring top performers back into your company. Request a demo