5 Quick Tips to be Healthier in 2018!
New Year, New You?
5 Quick Tips To Improve Your Health in 2018!
The new year has arrived and with it all the new resolutions. I will lose 10 kilos, I will be more productive, I will climb Mount Everest, I won’t drink anymore alcohol, I won’t eat anything that is bad for me, I won’t procrastinate! But seriously, how realistic are these resolutions? If you are wanting to make some changes, make small ones that are easy to keep. Then build up to the big changes. Building healthy habits can have a huge impact on our health both physically and mentally. Ask one of your friends or work colleagues to become your healthy buddy, kind of like a study buddy, but someone to help keep you on track and away from temptation. Try these 5 small changes to improve your health in 2018.
1. Never eat with a screen in front of you…no matter how busy you are. Eating without a screen enables you to become more mindful of the food you are having, when you have had enough and eat it slower. People who practice mindful eating tend to be healthier than those who don’t, so it is worth giving it a go.
2. Always have breakfast – There is no excuse why you wouldn’t. Porridge takes 2 minutes to cook, a boiled egg can take up to 5 minutes! Breakfast breaks the fast from the night and kick starts your metabolism. In Ireland only 1 in 3 have breakfast in the morning…shocking! Give your body the best chance and eat a balanced breakfast every morning.
3. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail! Use one afternoon a week to prep for your week ahead. Firstly, write down a meal plan, include breakfast, lunch, dinner and two snacks. Next shop for all the ingredients and cut up whatever vegetables you can so it is ready after a long day. Organise your fridge so everything is easy to reach.
4. Bring in snacks and lunch to work. This way you are not tempted to go to the local deli for some deep fried meat and massive rolls. You will eat better food and save a small fortune. Each evening, pack a lunch box full of tasty foods. Healthy snacks and lunches can include fruit, nuts, crackers, boiled egg, sushi rolls, casserole, tuna salad, soup and much more.
5. Drink more water. Men need 2.5 litres of water, women need 2 litres of water. Not only will this keep hunger at bay it will improve your skin, your mood and overall health. Water will work to detox your body better than any shake, juice or skinny tea!
All these changes are achievable and easy to follow. Once put in place you will be able to build on them! So what’s stopping you? Make those changes today!
If you are looking for further advice, make sure you seek it from a Dietitian or qualified Nutritionist (someone with a BSc in Nutrition), sometimes the advice from an unqualified individual can be detrimental to your long term health!